One Belt and one Road:
“The Great Peace Charter XXI” Initiative
By Leo Semashko and Subhash Chandra
for “China Daily”
“The Great Peace Charter XXI” (GPC) was established by the international peacemaking organization Global Harmony Association (GHA) with 72+ peacemakers from 27+ countries and several Nobel Peace Laureates for the US and Russia summit on July 16, 2018 in Helsinki. It was sent to the US and Russia Presidents, was translated into 7 languages and was published on the GHA website: http://peacefromharmony.org/?cat=en_c&key=834.
China could integrate in its grandiose project "One Belt, one Road Initiative" (BRI) the GPC as its natural part. This would be a great Chinese initiative through the BRI, coming from Confucius, who offered the first in the world to build a peaceful, ethical society from harmony. The Chinese are still singing Ode on his birthday on August 28 with the words about it: "Confucius moves the world towards the State of Great Harmony". At Confucius, like all Chinese culture after him, the hieroglyphs "harmony" and "peace" are inseparable. This means, "Harmony is peace and peace is harmony." Therefore, the determining principle of the GHA peacemaking activity is: "Peace comes from harmony."
This Charter expresses and emphasizes the peaceful harmonious essence of the unique Chinese project, giving it an actual peacebuilding value. China could offer to all political leaders of the countries covered by the BRI project to review and sign "The Great Peace Charter XXI." It would be an unprecedented peacemaking initiative of global peace for our century, emanating from the great China with its millennial culture of peace based on the Confucian philosophy of harmony and implemented today in China by the strategy of "building a harmonious society" and the BRI project.
We, the GHA, offer the following modified version of this Charter for the Chinese project to discuss it in the newspaper "China Daily" and on its website.
We, the leaders of the countries, united by the grandiose project “One Belt, one Road Initiative”, concerned about the threat of a nuclear war, the mad catastrophe of which is 100% prepared and the growing international tensions that is pushing towards it, are compelled to recognize the extreme need for our national interests and humanity as a whole radical nonviolent peacebuilding solution, which is expressed by our joint principled Resolution: "The Great Peace Charter XXI" (GPC).
The GPC is the beginning of conscious comprehensive peacebuilding of the 21st century in the long-term perspective of several generations of humankind, excluding the possibility of its global military catastrophe.
The GPC defines the following fundamental peaceful purposes and their instruments:
1. The ultimate goal of our century is to end the institution of war through the scientific understanding of nonviolent harmonious sources of global peace as a guaranteed universal security that is ensured by general complete disarmament and the complete demilitarization of all spheres of world social production during the 50 years of the 21st century,
2. The primary goal for the next 5-10 years is nuclear disarmament, "nuclear zero", requiring for all nuclear weapons immediate taken off hair trigger alertand its reduction by 20-10% annually under the IAEA control. This is the first practical goal and priority responsibility of the nuclear powers leaders before their peoples and humanity in a whole.
3. We focus on consciously harmonious political, economic and trade relations of the BRI countries, excluding the world's "trade and sanctions wars," helping to reduce political tensions instead of exacerbating it and providing the most effective solution to the partial geopolitical problems of Syria, Iran, Donbas, Afghanistan, Israel-Palestine and similar.
4. We call on the leaders of the nuclear powers, together with the leaders of the BRI, to support the holding in October 2019 of the "Global Peace Summit" in Beijing with the participation of all 9 nuclear powers, the EU, the UN and the world civil society in the person of the most deserved peacemaking nongovernmental organizations working for at least 10 years, uniting peacemakers not less than from 30 countries and possessing fundamental peacebuilding ideas / concepts, fixed in publications. This format is dictated by the grandiose peacebuilding mission of the 21st century, defined by the "Great Peace Charter" and ensuring democracy in the preparation, adoption and execution of its general "Roadmap for Global Peacebuilding".
5. We agreed to acceptto discussion in 2019, in our societies and parties, the idea of establishing "Peacebuilding Departments" in our governments as a permanent organizational and governing tool for the realization of the new century's peacebuilding goals recognized in GPC. These Departments are called upon to ensure the implementation of the general "Roadmap", detailed by decades and years of its implementation.
6. We recognize the need of the joint development for a special "Global Peace Science", which reveals objective laws of peacebuilding that are acceptable to all peoples and ensure all their national security interests,justice and prosperity of all nations. To this end, we agree to establish the International Peace Academy in Beijing on a partnership basis in 2020, involving the necessary scientific teams and non-governmental organizations of scientists in it. In our century, global peace cannot remain only the intuition of a few geniuses, it must become the science of world civil society and governments.
The BRI countries signatures:
The GHA notes.
The GPC-XXI integrates and implements the great peacemaking intentions of the BRI countries with the great peacemaking covenants of the past, the greatest and oldest of which are the covenants of Confucius given above.
The past covenants:
John Kennedy: "Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind."
Mahatma Gandhi: "Nonviolence [harmony, peace] is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man. Nonviolence is not the inheritance of cowardice, it is always heroism."
Nicholas Roerich: "Peace through Culture, and there is no other way. True, high culture brings peace for all the world."
Albert Einstein: "Peace can not be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding" [science]; and "We shall require substantially new manner thinking if mankind is to survive."
Fyodor Dostoevsky:"We [Russia] not hostile and friendly, with a full love accepted into our soul the geniuses of other nations, all together, without making tribal differences. For the true Russian, Europe is as dear as Russia itself because our fate is all world fraternal aspiration to reunite the peoples by the great general harmony and fraternal final consent."
Martin Luther King: "We must shift the arms race into a peace race."
Leo Tolstoy: "In the hands of war is billions of money, millions of obedient troops and in our hands is only one, but the mightiest tool in the world — the truth."
Benjamin Rush (one of the USA founding fathers): [The fundamental idea of the "Peace Department" in the US government, not implemented so far]
The BRI countries leaders want to preserve and continue the greatest peacebuilding ideas from the cultural heritage of humanity and take place in its row.
Initiation of the "The Great Peace Charter XXI" through the grandiose intercontinental BRI project will provide it with global peacebuilding leadership in the 21st century, preserving it forever in the history of humankind. Support for this Charter through the BRI undoubtedly stimulates the peacemaking transformation of the UN and other international and regional organizations.
Dr. Leo Semashko, GHA Honorary President, Russia: http://peacefromharmony.org/?cat=en_c&key=253
Dr. Subhash Chandra, GHA President, India: http://peacefromharmony.org/?cat=en_c&key=583